[conspire] fetchmail, oauth2 and disposable free email services

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Sun Jun 19 19:47:33 PDT 2022

Quoting Ivan Sergio Borgonovo (mail at webthatworks.it):

> sooner or later fetchmail will support oauth2 natively (good read)

So, just a reminder, OAuth 2.0 is a _Web_ (HTTP) standard.  Deciding, as
Google, Inc. did in 2021, to adapt it to a completely different context
(SMTP/IMAP) is necessarily a different thing -- one apparently called
"SASL XOAUTH2", something of Google's own invention.

You are thus chasing after something that may or may not be a stable
API, may or may not work as described, etc.  And sometimes, the way
passive-aggressives say "no" is to say "OK, here's a basic outline of a
de-facto way of doing things that sort of work for now, least for us.
Good luck."

> Any advice or alternative route?

Intermittent discussion appears to occur on kwlug-discuss, as mentioned.