[conspire] Lease Renewal Offer / Our Apologies

Ivan Sergio Borgonovo mail at webthatworks.it
Sat Jul 30 02:56:56 PDT 2022

On 7/30/22 07:40, Rick Moen wrote:
> Quoting Paul Zander (paulz at ieee.org):
>
>>   Rick,
>> I understand your desired response.  Obviously this is just some bot
>> used by Park Merced.  At least they sent a follow up message saying
>> disregard and sorry.  If you sent a reply, it's likely no human will
>> read and much less respond.  Such are the times we live in.
>
> I actually just thought it was funny.
>
> If you read the letter, basically this was a mail-merge that did an
> extremely defective database lookup, e.g., it says "On [blank], your lease
> expired or will expire".
>
> Lessons include:  always test your query data, and have tests that catch
> obviously nonsensical conditions such as null lease expiration dates.

pg

template1=# select 'CIAO' as E where now()>NULL;
---
(0 rows)

template1=# select 'CIAO' as E where now()<NULL;
---
(0 rows)

template1=# select 'CIAO' as E where now()=now();
------
  CIAO
(1 row)

template1=# select 'CIAO' as E where now()<'';
ERROR:  invalid input syntax for type timestamp with time zone: ""
LINE 1: select 'CIAO' as E where now()<'';

MariaDB [test]> select 'CIAO' as E where DATE('NOW')>NULL;
Empty set, 1 warning (0.036 sec)
MariaDB [test]> select 'CIAO' as E where DATE('NOW')<NULL;
Empty set, 1 warning (0.000 sec)
select 'CIAO' as E where DATE('NOW')<'';
Empty set, 2 warnings (0.000 sec)
MariaDB [test]> select 'CIAO' as E where DATE('NOW')>'';
Empty set, 2 warnings (0.000 sec)

sqlite> select 'CIAO' as E where DATE('NOW')>NULL;
sqlite> select 'CIAO' as E where DATE('NOW')<NULL;
sqlite> select 'CIAO' as E where DATE('NOW')<'';
sqlite> select 'CIAO' as E where DATE('NOW')>'';
CIAO

ooops

--
Ivan Sergio Borgonovo