[conspire] Lease Renewal Offer / Our Apologies

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Fri Jul 29 22:40:56 PDT 2022

Quoting Paul Zander (paulz at ieee.org):

>  Rick,
> I understand your desired response.  Obviously this is just some bot
> used by Park Merced.  At least they sent a follow up message saying
> disregard and sorry.  If you sent a reply, it's likely no human will
> read and much less respond.  Such are the times we live in.

I actually just thought it was funny.

If you read the letter, basically this was a mail-merge that did an
extremely defective database lookup, e.g., it says "On [blank], your lease
expired or will expire".

Lessons include:  always test your query data, and have tests that catch
obviously nonsensical conditions such as null lease expiration dates.