[conspire] COVID at the end of 2021

paulz at ieee.org paulz at ieee.org
Mon Jan 3 11:15:42 PST 2022

 Yet another facet of the messed up messaging is this question:  I have symptoms that might be COVID-19 what should I as an individual do for my own health?
A month ago, I noticed a "scratchy" sensation in my throat and wondered what to do. Some web-sites discussed the similarity of symptoms of colds, flu and COVID-19.  OK, suppose might be COVID, what to do next?
Most websites gave advice about testing.  Get tested right away.  Wait 2 days to get tested.
Self-quarantine.  Right, I live by myself.  I had been planning to go to the grocery store the next day.  How might this work?
In this same time frame, there news stories about new medicines to treat COVID, but they worked best when given early.
Out of all of the "advice" I found one article that suggested having throat lozenges, OTC cough medicine and vitamins C and D on hand.   I took a zinc lozenge, which I have found was helpful for the early stage of a cold.
And all of this was on a weekend, so my doctor was not available.   Monday morning, I called the doctor's office.  In "normal" times, a nurse would take the message, the doctor would read it during a break in the day and I'd probably get a call back with some advice by the end of the day.   Yes I did get a call back, but that was to schedule a video visit.  By the time I finally "saw" the doctor, the progression of symptoms matched the common cold.  No I didn't think I needed to schedule a COVID test.  Yes, the doctor agreed that zinc lozenges can be helpful for a cold.
Paul