[conspire] COVID at the end of 2021

Deirdre Saoirse Moen deirdre at deirdre.net
Sat Jan 1 23:50:45 PST 2022

Thrombocytopenia is kind of fascinating and is a horrifying hyperinflammatory state (not uncommon in super bad cases of Covid).

Essentially, critically low levels of platelets, which number from 150k-400k in humans. I've heard of living people with lower levels than 1000.

1. The cytokine storm takes out the progenitor cells, nuking production of platelet cells.
2. SARS-CoV-2 can directly infect things like bone marrow cells (!) which can also destroy production capacity of platelets.
3. Meanwhile, thromboses need the platelets to help fix lung injury, reducing circulating platelets.

"A study involving 1099 patients from 31 provinces/direct-controlled municipalities in China showed that 82.1% of patients had lymphopenia, 36.2% had thrombocytopenia, and 33.7% had leukopenia [9]."

More here: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7156897/ (note: early paper from April 2020.)