[conspire] (forw) Re: [Golugtech] Fw: [Alpine-info] O365 XOAUTH2 via fetchmail

Akkana Peck akkana at shallowsky.com
Sat Apr 23 17:30:33 PDT 2022

Rick Moen writes:
> I'm a member of a number of Google Groups (FeltonLUG, BerkeleyLUG, some
> others), subscribed from rick at linuxmafia.com, _not_ from a GMail
> account, and in every case so far, I've been able to see the archives
> perfectly well (contradicting what your draft says).

It may be that their archives are public. If I try to view
https://groups.google.com/g/lwvus4healthreform
I see "You don't have permission to access this content.
For access, try logging in". If I try to view
https://groups.google.com/a/losalamosnature.org/g/birders
I get "Content unavailable, Click here to try again.
If you've seen this page more than once, try switching accounts."
(No idea why they give two different errors.)

Why, you may ask, would a healthcare reform group or a local birding
group keep their archives members-only? I've certainly asked that
question, on both groups. It seems a lot of people prefer it
that way, and resist opening things up. Maybe it's that they don't
want to worry that outsiders might be scrutinizing their words.

> I've not yet had
> occasion to want to unsubscribe, so I haven't tested that bit.

Admittedly I haven't tried in many years. It used to be impossible,
and for years I had several groups filtered to /dev/null because I
was no longer interested but there was no way to unsubscribe (and
the listowner was no longer paying attention to email requests).
I've heard thirdhand reports that it's gotten better, but even if
it works now, I'm not confident it'll stay working (being Google),
and I'm leery of joining something I might never be able to quit.

        ...Akkana