[conspire] Postal voting, continued.

paulz at ieee.org paulz at ieee.org
Wed Sep 15 09:04:50 PDT 2021

 BBC news recently had a story about health care and FAX machines.  Seems that when ICU's were full of patients, the FAX machines were generating stacks of paper.  It was a major effort to deal with the archaic messaging method.
Anyway I think most of us were relieved when the recall results were reported.
A couple weeks ago, I drove down I5 and saw a lot of signs promoting the recall and one specific candidate.  Very different from the media messaging we were seeing in the Bay Area.

    On Tuesday, September 14, 2021, 07:45:10 PM PDT, Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com> wrote:

 Quoting Nick Moffitt (nick at zork.net):

> But you know, they really could have chosen a better domain name than
> CABALlottrax.com...

The whole shaggy, um, ballot story was _more_ than worth it, just for
that punch line.

Chez Moen faced a similar sort of problem recently, when we wanted to
send something in parallel copies to a set of corporate lawyer types,
snail mail for this-is-for-real-on-the-record, and fax so that they
got a copy _right not_ -- the problem being that ye olde landline
long ago got jettisoned.

I considered, for several seconds, an online faxing services.  There are
a number of them.  This seems as likely a guide as any:
https://www.tomsguide.com/us/best-online-fax,review-2124.html

And then, I thought, nope.  Pay the local FedEx/Kinko's/UPS/whatever
shop to fire up a 1972-compliant fax machine, and just send that sucker
old-school -- such that there's real-time delivery, atavistic fax-tone
whining, and a printed-out delivery report suitable for enshrining in a
folder.  So, that's what we did.

If I'd been in your shoes, I suppose that's what I'd have tried first,
just because it's the stupid-simple direct approach.  Heaven's knows
where in the Home Counties will deliver a fax for a few quid -- though
these guys claim £2.50/page to US destinaton numbers.  At minimum, by
implication, they make a point of keeping a functional fax machine
around _and_ understand international dialling prefixes.
https://www.ryman.co.uk/services/fax