[conspire] Postal voting, continued.

Nick Moffitt nick at zork.net
Tue Sep 14 23:59:32 PDT 2021

On 14Sep2021 07:44pm (-0700), Rick Moen wrote:
> And then, I thought, nope.  Pay the local FedEx/Kinko's/UPS/whatever
> shop to fire up a 1972-compliant fax machine, and just send that sucker
> old-school -- such that there's real-time delivery, atavistic fax-tone
> whining, and a printed-out delivery report suitable for enshrining in a
> folder.  So, that's what we did.

Yeah.  We've done that in the past when interacting with The Continent Of The Paper Cheque before.  There used to be a post office run out of an off licence in Fulham that was pretty helpful, but the gaffer retired and it got turned into a kombucha café or something.

We may have been his only international fax customer, because he always seemed surprised at the US busy tones when the line was engaged on the receiving end.

> If I'd been in your shoes, I suppose that's what I'd have tried first,
> just because it's the stupid-simple direct approach.  Heaven's knows
> where in the Home Counties will deliver a fax for a few quid -- though
> these guys claim £2.50/page to US destinaton numbers.  At minimum, by
> implication, they make a point of keeping a functional fax machine
> around _and_ understand international dialling prefixes.
> https://www.ryman.co.uk/services/fax

Ryman is the most popular stationer in London, ahead of WH Smith's these days (as they fit into smaller shop fronts).  I will definitely keep this in mind for future escapades!