[conspire] (forw) Reminder that we are NextDoor's product, not customers

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Wed Nov 10 10:45:40 PST 2021

[Archivist's note: This further details round two (Nov. 2021), continuing from here.]

Quoting Paul Zander (paulz at ieee.org):

> Maybe part of the problem is that you tend to be verbose, with
> detailed explanations.  ND seems to want short comments so people can
> just nod and go onto the adverts.  Or you are sometimes
> controversial.

Sure.  Got it in one.

I elaborated to a friend, on that:

From: Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com>
To: [my friend]
Subject: Re: So, a thing happened, again

Quoting [my friend]:

> This is ridiculous! I’m going to reach out

[Name], I don't want to mislead you.

I found amusing that by probable _coincidence_ my second (current)
banning immediately followed my having made a very mild statement
critical of white supremacists, but that doesn't seem to have been the
trigger, this second time around.  (It definitely was the first time, in
February.)

This time, the angry ND Lead had in mind a number of lengthy, calm,
referenced, strictly factual comments I posted to a diferent thread
about the local COVID-19 booster rollout, where I examined antivax
talking points, talking about the real, full story.

In one case, I amiably came to the defence of one talking point by an
antivaxer friend (yes, a friend), L.D.  She'd trotted out
several claims she said indicated infringement of antivaxer freedoms,
and one of them was that a father had been denied visitation rights to
his child because he'd refused vaccination.  Someone else immediately
reproved L.D. for posting "fake news".  I said, hold on, you're right
that it'd have been better if L.D. had included a case citation, but I've
found the one she probably means, and pointed to this article by law
professor Eugene Volokh:
https://reason.com/volokh/2021/10/09/noncustodial-parent-required-to-get-covid-vaccine-or-covid-test-before-exercising-visitation/

And I summarised:  1.  This is in New York, in an ongoing divorce trial.
2.  The judge was issuing a TRO (temporary restraining order), and
my understanding is that couples during the pendency of a divorce trial
are very under the judge's thumb, much more than after.  3.  The judge
reacted to the non-custodial father trying to bullbleep him, admitting
to having consulted zero medical knowledge or authorities but claiming
his RCC religion precluded him getting vaccinated.  The judge pointed
out this is nonsense, as Pope Francis urges Catholics to get the
vaccine, and has taken it himself.  4. Also, the father had
blanket-refused the alternative of regular COVID testing.  Bottom line,
I said:  Don't try to bullbleep a judge in his own courtroom, or you
may learn the hard way, as one father just did, that such a ploy
never works well.

In another exchange in the thread, I very politely questioned an
antivaxer's narrative, who claimed his doctor had advised him to not get
the vaccine because it would erase the immunity he'd gotten from COVID
infection, and would put him at risk for a heart attack.  I asked if
possibly some communication had gotten garbled, as the claimed advice
didn't make sense and was misinformed.

I went on at some length, to explain how disease-conferred immunity
works, and in comparison how vaccine-conferred immunity works, to show
how one doesn't erase the other, but that the latter type is targeted
rather than hit or miss.  (At the same time, other _actual_ medical
people were explaining to the guy at lesser length why the supposed
advice was poorly informed.)

In another subthread, I dissected the antivax talking point of claiming
vaccine manufacturers cannot be sued.  I said that, as with many talking
points, that's based on some truth and some untruth.  I described how in
March 2020 the prior Administration's HHS Secretary, Alex Azar, applied
the Federal PREP Act to give the pharmas developing the three COVID
vaccines a partial shield from _some_ tort liability to 2024, as part of
the Operation Warp Speed measures to make development as fast as FDA and
CDC testing requirements would permit and reduce the resulting vaccine
prices to the Federal government.  But, I pointed out, the PREP Act
shield permits vaccinated patients to sue if there were substantive
misconduct by the companies, _and_ patient claims of harm were also
heard and, if validated, paid out from an insurance pool.

I pointed out that insurance-pool liability arrangement is relatively
rare but not overly so, e.g., when a defective B-707 killed my father,
Pan Am Captain Arthur Moen, in 1968, on account of negligence by Pan Am
and Boeing, my family was barred from suing Pan Am by the Workman's
Compensation Act, but we received an insurance-pool Workman's
Compensation payout, instead.

So, I said, it's partially correct to claim that vaccine manufacturers
cannot be sued for harm, and partially incorrect.  There is a _partial_
legal shield until March 2024; presumably any claims can still be sued
then.  And the partial shield covers only the three COVID vaccines, not
vaccines generally.

In the angry ND Lead's mind, these factual, careful, well-referenced
explanations were "opinions" and also were way too long; thus her
attempt to order me to not post "opinions" in the future.

It's the usual dog-whistling.  "Opinions" doesn't mean opinions; it
means annoyingly authoritative, fact-based explanations that the antivax
crowd didn't want to hear.  "Diatribes" does not mean diatribes.  It
means verifiable dissections politely stated without spin.  "Replies
that discriminate against, attack, insult, shame, bully, or belittle
others" does not mean what those words say.  It means undermining
ritual talking points with details and verifiable facts told
diplomatically.  The very fact that my explanations _are_ cordial
and respectful, with zero interpersonal strife, and are comprehensive
and verifiable, is what makes them a perceived threat to some.

Anyway, if people ask why I vanished, please just pass along my
"Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com>" and "650-283-7902 cellular" contact
information.  Thank you!