[conspire] computer security

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Sun Mar 7 12:10:54 PST 2021

Quoting Ivan Sergio Borgonovo (mail at webthatworks.it):
> On 3/6/21 23:22, Rick Moen wrote:

> >The sort of unfocussed paranoia McAfee is quoted as voicing is the mark
> >of a rank amateur.  It's been my experience that the anti-virus /
> >computer security industry has more than its share of such people,
> >that it has a large bushwah quotient.
>
> I recently stumbled into this:
>
> https://www.offensive-security.com/metasploit-unleashed/binary-linux-trojan/
>
> OH REALLY!
> If you start installing random software...

...especially with root-user authority...

> ...you risk to get a trojan.  And that proves that "client side
> attacks and trojans are not exclusive to the Windows world".
>
> And I bet... that's why even if you're running Linux, you need our
> training.

They really didn't even _try_ very hard, on that one.

But, the depressing thing is, this kind of broken thinking is _routine_
in tech reporting about computer/network security and "malware".  (Of
course, that's largely because most tech reporting is cribbed from
industry press releases, and the press releases from
antimalware/security companies consist mostly of self-serving drivel.)