[conspire] January 10th of last year, a Chinese scientist uploaded the SARS-CoV-2 genome to the Internet

Michael Paoli Michael.Paoli at cal.berkeley.edu
Sun Jun 20 22:34:49 PDT 2021

> From: "Mike Higashi" <mhigashi at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [conspire] COVID-19 "breakthrough" infections
> Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2021 14:44:57 -0700

> On January 10th of last year, a Chinese scientist uploaded the SARS-CoV-2
> genome to the Internet. On January 11th, NIAID's chief vaccine researcher
> Barney Graham and his collaborator, structural biologist Jason McLellan of
> UT Austin, went to work, modifying their previous MERS vaccine. On January
> 13th, they delivered their scheme to Moderna for production.

Yeah, whole lot 'o folks - and certain politicians majorly bashing on
China over COVID-19.  So, sure, they didn't handle it ideally (who did?
... pot ... kettle ... black?).

But China did us and the whole word a major solid by quite early on
sequencing SARS-CoV-2 and making that readily available to the world.
They didn't have to do that ... but they did.  And for that we ought be
quite thankful and well show our appreciation.  And I don't even know
if or how official or sanctioned the action was or not ... doesn't
especially matter.  Give 'em thanks and credit - want to encourage good
responsible behavior.  Don't go blaming (and blaming victim at that).
Playing the blame game with a pandemic is not the way to foster better
and faster responses and cooperation - notably also including in the
future.