[conspire] (forw) Re: [skeptic] A butterfly flapped its wings and:

Michael Paoli Michael.Paoli at cal.berkeley.edu
Wed Jun 9 20:43:12 PDT 2021

> From: "Rick Moen" <rick at linuxmafia.com>
> Subject: [conspire] (forw) Re: [skeptic] A butterfly flapped its wings and:
> Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2021 16:19:13 -0700

> Quoting Laurie Forbes (laforbes at telus.net):
>
>> *A major internet blackout that hit many high-profile websites on
>> Tuesday has been blamed on a software bug.*

And there has been clamoring and gnashing of teeth and noises ...
I think I saw some (poor) headlines along the lines of:
Oh my gosh, The Internet is fragile, we must do something about that!

Uhm, no, The Internet is mostly pretty dang robust and mostly works,
thank-you-very-much - and please don't screw that up.

Now, on the other hand, putting most or all of one's eggs in one basket,
oh ... like Fastly ... might sometimes get bitten or have a problem
or glitch.  "Oops".  Oh well.  But The Internet remained fine throughout.
Just a whole lot 'o sites/services that depended upon Fastly had problems
for a while.  But folks and services with no such dependencies - no such
problems - they were fine.

Likewise doing dumb/stupid/insecure things on The Internet - might cause
problems for oneself or one's organization.  Always has been the case,
always will be.  Just like wandering inattentively through most any major
bustling international city and paying next to no attention to anything,
can also be rather hazardous.  So, yeah, don't do that - don't be stupid
and insecure and failing to pay reasonable attention to the environments
within which one is operating, do be suitably prepared and as relevant
defended.  It's not The Internet that needs fixin'.  It's folks paying
more attention and setting themselves up properly to operate in such
environments - and it's not a set it and forget it. Threats change and
evolve.  Just like if you were going to go to some exotic foreign country for
an extended visit ... what are the current immunizations and safety protocols
and things one should avoid?  Yeah, what was current 20 years ago may not be
the best advice for what's relevant and appropriate and reasonably safe now.

And yes where there are rather persistent bad actors out there, sure, more
could be done to thwart/stop them.  But it will never be fully safe out
there.  So, again, it's not The Internet that needs fixin'.

How you do things on The Internet, set yourself / your organization,
services, etc. up - it matters.  What services you outsource to what
vendor(s), what software you trust and depend upon, etc.