[conspire] Is this list RFC69-compliant?

Nick Moffitt nick at zork.net
Sun Jun 6 15:22:25 PDT 2021

In the early days of the ARPANet, the RFCs were managed as a series of paper memos sent to all participants in the project.  They were typed up or mimeographed, and sent via inter-departmental and US Postal mail.  Sometimes this distribution list needed to be updated.

So how, then, would a staff change at MIT be handled for the RFC distribution process, in 1970?

Simple: by the equivalent of shouting "UNSUBSCRIBE" at all recipients of a mailing list.

I hereby reproduce all of RFC69 in its entirety, below:

> Network Working Group                                         A. Bhushan
> Request for Comments: 69                                          M.I.T.
> Updates: 52                                                 22 Sept. '70
>

>                   Distribution List Change for M.I.T.
>

>    Please delete my name from your distribution list and add that of Mr.
> Albert Vezza.  His address is:
>
>                   Mr. Albert Vezza               M.I.T.
>                   Rm 831 - Project MAC           (617) 864-6900
>                   545 Technology Square          X5877
>                   Cambridge. Mass. 02139

While this RFC does not define the expected behaviour for distribution lists on receiving such a message, two facts are well-known:

1. This message was dutifully distributed to all subscribers, and archived for posterity.
2. Abhay Bushan was unsubscribed, and Albert Vezza subscribed in his place.

Your move, Rick.