[conspire] Something hilarious happened in Internet Security…

Josef Grosch jgrosch at gmail.com
Sun Jan 17 15:28:22 PST 2021

On 1/17/21 8:03 AM, Don Marti wrote:
> begin Deirdre Saoirse quotation of Sat, Jan 16, 2021 at 03:05:19PM -0800:
>
>> 1. They were hosted on (self-hosted) WordPress, which is written in PHP.
>> 2. There are a billion zillion WordPress plugins, many of them with security issues.
>> 3. Some of Parler’s indeed had major security issues.
> Were they really running a 40-node Scylla cluster?
>
>    https://mobile.twitter.com/th3j35t3r/status/1350612426115452935
>
> (Scylla is a scalable NoSQL database compatible with Apache Cassandra.
> 40 nodes is like the size of a cluster you would see at a well-known
> SaaS, adtech, or streaming company).  Can't figure out what a site with
> ~10 million (?) users would be doing with that much capacity especially
> since there is another database on their list too.

Looking at their specs that seems like way over kill. Either they had
delusions of this site becoming enormous  or they had not figured out
how configure the site for efficiency.  Knowing what I know about AWS
billing they must have been paying a fortune for all this capacity.

The wikipedia entry for Parler says that had/have 2.3 million active
users and 15 million total before the shutdown. It seems the Rebekah
Mercer was their piggy bank. Must be nice to have that much money to
just throw around.

Josef

--
Josef Grosch            | Another day closer |
jgrosch at MooseRiver.com  | to Redwood Heaven  | Berkeley, Ca.