[conspire] Something hilarious happened in Internet Security…

Deirdre Saoirse Moen deirdre at deirdre.net
Sat Jan 16 20:49:28 PST 2021

On Sat, Jan 16, 2021, at 8:19 PM, paulz at ieee.org wrote:

> Am I the only person who stops and wonders why a website wants my ID?

Not the only one.

> If it's my bank,wants me to verify my identity, and I am sure the website really is my bank.  Well OK.  Otherwise, maybe  I don't want to pull out my DL.
>
> Did you hear about the guy on the news saying that Trump should pardon him because the riot was Trump's idea?

Ahh, I meant to also link this excellent piece, which is an analysis of Trump's speech right before the riot.

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1347908845281095680.html

See particularly around tweet 31, and around 170.

He goes into a rather fascinating tactic of Trump's saying things as A->X->B, and most of us would hear X as a de-escalation or tangent and B as a non-sequitur of X. But what his target audience hears is that B follows from A.

I think Seth argues quite well that the riot was, in fact, Trump's idea, and that understanding from the insurrectionist was common among those who were there.

Deirdre