[conspire] NoScript fine-tuning (was: Firefox question)

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Sat Jan 9 20:11:38 PST 2021

Quoting Paul Zander (paulz at ieee.org):

> Firefox often has a pop-up window asking if I want some website to
> contact a different website.  I routinely click "no" or more likely
> "never".   A couple weeks ago, a feature on a particular website
> stopped working.  I realized the I had blocked something I probably
> didn't want to block.   So where is the list of sites to unblock?  I
> can find things like allowing or blocking cookies from certain
> sights.  No-script has a menu for controlling sites.  I haven't been
> able to find the controls regarding one site trying to access another.

Hi, Paul.  Sorry about the delay in getting back to you -- and I also
meant to inquire with you about this on the Jitsi Meet conference, but
you signed off just before I could snag your attention.

I'm pretty sure this isn't a Firefox question, but rather one concerning
the NoScript extension (thus my change of your Subject header).

Yes, NoScript does have a WebUI for controlling how it works when you
visit any particular Web site's pages, allowing you to pick and choose
which third-party (and not third-party) sites' Javascript snippets to
execute when loading a page from that site.  I don't happen to have
NoScript in front of me, so I'm consulting online information.
https://noscript.net/faq   <-- This is their FAQ.

Here's a runthrough with screenshots purporting to explain how to block
and then unblock things:
https://proprivacy.com/adblocker/guides/noscript-extension-gain-privacy-security

And another:
https://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/noscript-use.html

And another:
https://www.ghacks.net/2014/11/29/how-to-use-noscript-efficiently/

Among those tutorials, I'm pretty sure you'll find enough information.

--
Cheers,                         "2021 showed up, and told 2020 'hold my beer.'"
Rick Moen                                                   -- @justinaireland
rick at linuxmafia.com
McQ! (4x80)