[conspire] 🌈Am I kicked out yet?

rogerchrisman at gmail.com rogerchrisman at gmail.com
Mon Feb 1 22:04:57 PST 2021

Hi fellow sourdough bakers,

Thanks to your moral support, I now have a functioning, not crashing,
Linux desktop environment. Thank you! The addition of the NVIDIA
graphics driver is I think the cure, because of my oomphy graphics
card and large monitor.

So I got into the server, over Terminal Emulator -- opened lovely side
by side SSH windows. No crash? Let's go play! Middle click code
directly into bash and vim. So I played at upgrading MediaWiki. I got
it done, too!

Am I allowed to post a rainbow here? Is a rainbow plain text?

I do plain text email with emojis. Because.

🌈
http://michael.orlitzky.com/article/lets_not_encrypt.xhtml

^ Rick, thanks for posting that link last month, and your thoughts on
SSL and the certificate authority system.

Here's a piece of trivia. SSL broke my wiki, sorta.

My "production" wiki, facing the big bad world, paid for now with
advertising revenue of like $2 a day, that Google's algorithm dupes
2000 people a day into visiting, ever so briefly. Who knew? I had to
get SSL to do the ads(ezoic). So I did. Because, duh, logging into a
wiki over http:// is theoretically insecure and, anyway, Google
started making it embarrassing.

So two years ago I started paying my webhost $45/year to add SSL to my
hosting plan for https://teflpedia.com. The meager ad revenue is
enough to cover that, and the hosting and domain registration. So who
cares?

But I don't want to pay another $45/year to add SSL for my
https://tp.rogerchrisman.com wiki *testing* site. Do I? Not. So I did
self-certify instead. Gee. Kinda like pants hanging half way down my
hips. What happened!

Again, thanks Rick for posting that interesting link to Mickael
Orlitsky's article.

So I can pretend to be a star. It's dark enough for it.

But MediaWiki's new fun _Visual Editor_ is not compatible with
self-signed certs. Observe:

* https://teflpedia.com/Sandboxx <- Visual Editor *WORKS*. Try it
(click Edit on that page)! Yes, two xx there, life's complicated.

* https://tp.rogerchrisman.com/Sandbox <- Visual Editor throws an
*ERROR*. Try it (click Edit on that page, too)! I think the error is
caused by the MediaWiki version 1.35.1 Visual Editor code not being
compatible with self-signed SSL certificates. It's odd. Call it
trivia. I could be mistaken, but who cares? Because of the
embarrassment hanging half way down my SSL hips I don't want to host a
public facing anything on self-signed SSL anyway. But this is just my
test wiki -- where I tested my upgrade before I pushed it out to my
public facing wiki.

The test wiki is a copy of the production wiki, except with a
different logo and time to live (maybe a week, maybe two, maybe time
will stop). Both are on the same server, running the same MediaWiki
version 1.35.1 code today.

Now I'm a ⭐

In the dark.

Stay safe!

Roger *not asking any questions -- just looking at the star(0)*