[conspire] Names (was: Web spam and yandex forms)

Syeed Ali syeedali at syeedali.com
Thu Dec 9 14:50:51 PST 2021

On Wed, 8 Dec 2021 15:34:28 -0800

> Maybe we should not go into the concept of "middle names", and the
> fact that American culture assumes everyone has one, even though
> they're not present in many cultures.  One example is Norway, which
> traditionally didn't give out middle names.

I'll take the bait.  :)

My middle name is Frisian, taken from my (maternal) grandfather's first
name.  I have nothing English in my names, and people make the
assumption that they recognize Latin script as making an English name.

People read:
https://www.behindthename.com/name/anne-1

But I am:
https://www.behindthename.com/name/anne-2

It gets odd when my first and middle names are on the same line in
paperwork and people call out into a waiting room with the name they
recognize.