[conspire] Web spam and yandex forms

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Wed Dec 8 16:59:15 PST 2021

Quoting Paul Zander (paulz at ieee.org):

>  Ah but which "English".  Probably the Queen's English, definitely not
>  the Americanized usage of recent years.

My English is only Americanised; I'm still working on Americanized, and
may never get there.

> For those who follow the traditions of the Church of England,
> candidates for Holy Baptism are presented using only their Christian
> names.

I read today a claim that in the _Catholic_ tradition, middle names are
bestowed at the time of baptism.

(However, I believe you are using a domain-specific meaning of the term
"Christian name":  My UK-born school administrators at Peak School,
Victoria Peak, Hong Kong would have, without batting an eye, written
down a student's name as surname = "Hamza", Christian name = "Mohammed".
I.e., in that context, they didn't intend a reference to religious
identity; they merely used it as a synonym for "given name" or [common
US usage] "first name".

One might nonetheless read into that an assumption of "normal people are
Christians, and, moreover, also British.  We acknowledge the existence
of bloody foreigners and of non-Christians, but aren't entirely happy
about it."

Anyway...

After giving the example of my great-grandfather Rudolph Ludwig Moen
having no middle name but a double-barreled _given_ name, it occurred to
me that some would see that as a distinction without a difference --
which _might_ be true.  Howevery understanding, from talking to my
now-late grandmother Margot Moen (nėe Knudsen), is that he was regarded
as having no _middle_ name because his _use_ name was "Rudolph Ludwig",
not "Rudolph".

> And then there are other traditions where a name has many parts that
> recognize a number of relatives.

In a sense, this might have been the origin of Mom's name "Gail
Jacqueline Dawn Laverne Dorothy Lee Open Faye [surname]", where
[surname] is a family name from England, that I'm omitting here because
of the supremely idiotic American notion that "mother's maiden name" can
and should be used as a person's identifying security token.

It's quite absurd that half of my kinship name heritage has to remain
obscure, solely because of an idiotic administrative assumption, but
that's the world I live in.

It also means that my two nephews live in ongoing risk of an
identity-theft problem (that I myself escaped), because it's trivially
easy to discern that I'm their mother's brother, hence that their
"mother's maiden name" is Moen.