[conspire] (forw) Re: [skeptic] US 1 million: this year or next?

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Fri Aug 13 20:00:50 PDT 2021

As long as I'm forwarding related comments, there's this.

---<begin forwards>---

Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2021 16:26:27 -0400
From: Michael Sofka
To: Skeptic <skeptic at linuxmafia.com>
Subject: Re: [skeptic] US 1 million: this year or next?

On 8/12/21 3:16 PM, Rick Moen wrote:

> Thus, there's an automatic "detection bias". Second, as vaxed
> population has increased, especially among people like Cape Cod
> holidayers, you get the Kristiansund-blonds problem: Vaxed persons
> necessarily will then constitute a rising portion of cases.

Yep, I've been trying to explain this the past week.   Consider two
islands, both with a population of 1,000,000.  Island A has a 0%
vaccination rate, while island B has a 100% vaccination rate.  So by
definition 100% of those on island A who contract Delta Covid-19 are
un-vaccinated, while 100% of those who contract Delta Covid-19 on
island B are vaccinated.

But....

On Island A that's 800,000 people (assuming Delta has an R of 6,
closer 900,000 if it really is an R of 9, or that of chickenpox*),
while on island B it is 80,000 people.  Further, on Island A that's
8,000 to 80,000 deaths, depending on the mortality of Delta---likely
the higher number because with 80% of the population getting sick
there will be a collapse of the health care (and pretty much every
other) system.  Meanwhile, the vaccinated population of B has a very
bad super-bug season, but manages under 1,000 dead and maybe way under
1,000 if the seriously ill get good health care, and precautions
against spreading Delta, such as masks, isolation of the sick, and
quarantine of the exposed, are followed.

* The herd immunity level of an illness is 1-1/R.  For the original
Covid-19 R was calculated as between 1.2 and 2.8, with maybe 3 as the
highest value, so 1-1/3 or 67% of the population being vaccinated
should be sufficient to prevent epidemic spread.  Of course
sub-populations that are not or could not be vaccinated would still be
at risk and need protection via masks, etc. ** The dropping of mask
mandates was a fingers-crossed effort to encourage continued
vaccinations.  Delta, with an estimated R of 6-9 is a whole other
story.  At the low end, 1-1/6 or 83% of the population needs to be
vaccinated, and at the high end it is 90%.  We are nowhere close.

Those interested in the math can find an excellent derivation in The
Model Thinker, 2nd Edition by Scott Page.  The Model Thinker, BTW,
premises using multiple, different, models which have different
assumptions, strengths, and weaknesses.  The estimates of herd
immunity are based on simple diffusion epidemic models that ignore
things like contact networks, sub-groups, mutating viruses,
differential responses, etc.***

**Which largely explains why fewer older people are catching Delta, as
they have the highest vaccination rates in the country, including in
Florida.

***That was more then I intended to write.

Mike