[conspire] (forw) Re: Acronym expansion, taking pity on the general reader

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Fri Sep 25 08:32:33 PDT 2020

Doubtless intended to be posted.  (Paul, I _still_ have that brief
'Bureau of Land Management, WTF?' moment whenever I see 'BLM' mentioned
without explanatory context.)

----- Forwarded message from "paulz at ieee.org" <paulz at ieee.org> -----

Date: Fri, 25 Sep 2020 15:06:37 +0000 (UTC)
From: "paulz at ieee.org" <paulz at ieee.org>
To: Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com>
Subject: Re: [conspire] Acronym expansion, taking pity on the general reader

 A different example of an acronym out of context.
A few months ago, I turned on the news.  It was in the middle of a story.  Almost the first "word" I heard was  BLM.

My mind went immediately to an event of a couple years back when some "free thinking" ranchers took over a place belonging to the Bureau of Land Management.   It took a while before I figured out that the story was about current protests in cities, not cattle on rural land.
I compared notes with several friends who had also not recognized the new meaning for BLM.