[conspire] POTS - acronym overload ... & overload ...

Michael Paoli Michael.Paoli at cal.berkeley.edu
Thu Sep 24 01:15:24 PDT 2020

> From: "Deirdre Saoirse Moen" <deirdre at deirdre.net>
> Subject: Re: [conspire] conspire Digest, Vol 202, Issue 26
> Date: Sun, 30 Aug 2020 14:31:51 -0700

> Yeah, I don’t have PRES, I have POTS, which isn’t specific to having
> had COVID, just made worse by it. There are *lots* of people
> reporting weird random racing heartbeats, though, and those *could*
> be symptoms of POTS. (Or not.)
>
> POTS is simply a lack of your body sending the signal to
> vasoconstrict in your lower extremities when you sit/stand, so your
> blood pools there and you don’t get enough blood in your upper body.
> This leads to your heart racing to compensate to get enough oxygen
> to the upper body. In my case, it also led to chronic headaches and
> migraines (not uncommon side effects). The simplest screening is
> lying down, take blood pressure and heart rate, sit up and wait 3
> minutes, take bp/heart rate, stand up and wait three minutes, take
> bp/heart rate, compare the three sets of numbers. Not definitive,
> but most people will not have a significant difference between the
> three numbers.

Or POTS is ...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plain_old_telephone_service
Yes, I too have POTS ... but I have the telephony kind.

PCB ...
Printed Circuit Board, or
Polychlorinated biphenyl

FERC
Family Education and Resource Center
Federal Energy Regulatory Commission

Some programming languages (e.g. Perl) have "overload" capabilities,
where the same object or operator, etc. can behave and have quite
different capabilities depending how it's used/referenced, or in
what context.

Many times, e.g. coworker, will ask me something like:
"What's <some acronym>?", and my response is generally:
"Context?" ... as often I can think of more than one
possible - and even feasible and possibly relevant - match,
for the supplied acronym.  So, context matters(/helps).
Context also helps the wetware index to retrieve/search correct areas,
and generally more efficiently.