[conspire] Ballot Analysis and the 7/8 Clause

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Sat Oct 31 23:05:52 PDT 2020

Quoting Paul Zander (paulz at ieee.org):

(about Prop. 22, the gig-workers thing):

> So if the TV spot is correct and 4 out of 5 app-based drivers prefer
> the IC status, that is what they should have.

Forgot to mention, Pete Stahl called bullshit -=especially=- on that point.
https://www.peterates.com/props-1120.shtml#prop22

  The ad campaign is an attempt to pull the wool over voters’ eyes,
  painting these companies as kindly businesses that facilitate flexible,
  good-paying side gigs for honest, hardworking folks just like you. A
  survey shows drivers _want to be independent_, they whimper.  If Prop 22
  fails, those drivers will lose their jobs, they protest.  "Independent
  contractor status is required to make rideshare and food delivery
  services work," blurts the flyer I just got in the mail.

  _Do not fall for it._  These claims are _false_.  Drivers want
  _flexibility, not independence_, but the survey creators deliberately
  and unethically _equated the two_ so they could make the claim they
  want.  (See footnote on slide 8 of their report.[link])  This is the
  _central lie_ of Prop 22, and you’ll find it in every ad:  in order
  to maintain flexible work schedules, drivers must remain independent
  contractors.

  There is no reason these companies can’t make their workers employees
  while also granting them flexible schedules. [...]

In any given election cycle, if you consult no other analysis on the
statewide ballot propositions, I urge _always_ skim-reading
https://www.peterates.com/ .  First.

One of my first lessons in California politics, as a lad, was to _never_
believe the promotional materials for and surface appearance of a ballot
proposition -- especially the ones someone has sunk an especially large
sum of money into, because a lot of that is spent trying to mislead you.
In this case, backers Uber, Lyft, and DoorDash ponied up an _$180 million_
war-chest, the biggest ad budget ever raised for a California ballot measure.

So, the lying has been bigger, better, and more audacious than usual.