[conspire] I just want to say…certbot on debian? Holy hell, that's cool

Deirdre Saoirse Moen deirdre at deirdre.net
Thu Oct 22 11:25:51 PDT 2020

I remember all the times it was painful to set up https, and so I’d been putting it off after migrating two sites over to my VPS.

# certbot -d deirdre.net -d deirdre.dev

Saving debug log to /var/log/letsencrypt/letsencrypt.log
Plugins selected: Authenticator apache, Installer apache
Enter email address (used for urgent renewal and security notices) (Enter 'c' to
cancel): deirdre at deirdre.net <mailto:deirdre at deirdre.net>

[…]

Obtaining a new certificate

[…]

Created an SSL vhost at /etc/apache2/sites-enabled/deirdre.net-le-ssl.conf
Enabled Apache socache_shmcb module
Enabled Apache ssl module
Deploying Certificate to VirtualHost /etc/apache2/sites-enabled/deirdre.net-le-ssl.conf
Created an SSL vhost at /etc/apache2/sites-enabled/deirdre.dev-le-ssl.conf
Deploying Certificate to VirtualHost /etc/apache2/sites-enabled/deirdre.dev-le-ssl.conf

Please choose whether or not to redirect HTTP traffic to HTTPS, removing HTTP access.
1: No redirect - Make no further changes to the webserver configuration.
2: Redirect - Make all requests redirect to secure HTTPS access. Choose this for
new sites, or if you're confident your site works on HTTPS. You can undo this
change by editing your web server's configuration.
Select the appropriate number [1-2] then [enter] (press 'c' to cancel): 2

[…]

…and just like that, it was done. And live.

Now, I just need to make sure that some of the things that were in my main .conf files get transferred over, but apart from that, easy peasy.

Can recommend.

Deirdre