[conspire] (forw) [DNG] [OT] YouTube archivism targeted

Carl Myers cmyers at cmyers.org
Tue Oct 27 13:07:17 PDT 2020

On Tue, Oct 27, 2020 at 12:24:25PM -0700, Rick Moen wrote:
> This is an _utterly standard_ DMCA takedown request.  This is _exactly_
> what has been the shape of USA domestic copyright law for over 20 years.
> If you are surprised by this -- and I'm not being critical of you, Carl,
> as this is weird stuff and not everyone's a law geek as I am -- then
> this should serve as a wakeup call.
>
> Many, many pieces of general-usage software have been successfully
> attacked in this way as 'circumvention devices'.  To understand the
> law's operation, I recomment looking up and making sure you understand
> that legal term of art.

*sigh* yeah, I guess I sorta knew the DMCA is a stupid pile of shit, and I do
appreciate giving me the benefit of the doubt on my surprise here.  You are of
course right, maybe this is moderately standard fare for DMCA takedowns and one
might even go so far as to point out that authors of yt-download definitely
"poked the bee hive" by literally listing copyrighted works in their examples,
though it is unclear if dodging that trap would have helped much in this
example.

I certainly hope someone fights this as the description "a command-line program
to download videos from YouTube.com and a few more sites." is similar to
describing a hammer as "a tool to assassinate the president in his stupid face,
and also do some stuff with nails or whatever"

--
Carl Myers (he/him)
PGP Key ID 3537595B