[conspire] New paper: SARS-CoV-2 is actively replicating in brain cells

Deirdre Saoirse Moen deirdre at deirdre.net
Wed Oct 14 22:53:42 PDT 2020

1. Based on autopsies performed, fwiw. Cells most involved were astrocytes, which form brain structure and help endothelial cells form the blood/brain barrier.

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.10.09.20207464v1 <https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.10.09.20207464v1>

https://www.cell.com/cell-stem-cell/fulltext/S1934-5909(20)30495-1 <https://www.cell.com/cell-stem-cell/fulltext/S1934-5909(20)30495-1>

2. HIV news: one of the mysteries in HIV was how the virus got into the nucleus. The port in the nucleus is 40nm, and the capsid is 60nm. For a long time, it was assumed that the virus shed the outer capsid prior to nuclear entry.

Spoiler alert: it does not.

I immediately thought of the videos of octopuses and bottles, e.g., this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DT97tS_XeaU <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DT97tS_XeaU>

Or: this octopus through a hole: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3N0i_KM8cI <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3N0i_KM8cI>

Anyhow, here’s the paper from Yale:

https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.08.10.245522v1.full.pdf <https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.08.10.245522v1.full.pdf>

I love that Buckminster Fuller is referenced indirectly:

> HIV-1 capsid is composed of capsomeres of approximately 250 capsid protein (CA) hexamers and 12 CA pentamers, which assemble into a fullerene cone….

Deirdre