[conspire] Upgrade Xubuntu 18.04 to 20.04 reboots to black screen

paulz at ieee.org paulz at ieee.org
Mon Oct 12 11:16:59 PDT 2020

 Roger,
My condolences.
First, can you still boot Win?  It may require some manual fussing with the boot instructions.  It certainly has gotten more challenging since UEFI.
My practice is to keep the OS and my data on separate partitions.  I put as little of my own data as possible on C:    I once had a company computer that developed an intermittent with the power supply.  Several times it crashed during start up.  Since windows writes stuff and updates stuff to the disk during start up and shutdown, it managed to totally corrupt C:
With a Linux OS, I also keep /home on its own partition. Then I can totally reinstall the OS and my personal data is untouched.  Just the same I do back up the data first.
Lastly on a dual boot system.  I can mount my NTFS data partition on Linux then photos, etc are available to both systems.
Paul