[conspire] 45's treatment oddities and why men are dying at much higher rates

Nick Moffitt nick at zork.net
Tue Oct 6 01:30:03 PDT 2020

On 05Oct2020 11:58pm (-0700), Rick Moen wrote:
> Also, something pointed out to me this evening:  Mr. Trump's current
> lead physician, Dr. Sean Conley, the one who stood on the steps of
> Walter Reed Hospital and made that statement to the press, is an
> osteopath.(!?)
>
> I say again:  an osteopath.
>

> An osteopath is not quite an outright quack.  No sir. Not quite.  Quoting CNN:
[...]
> Wikipedia about the (1892) inventor of the cited 'alternative medicine'
> field, Andrew Taylor Still:
[...]
> 'Quack' is an ugly word, so I'll just say osteopathy is a crank
> fringe-medical theory.

It's definitely a bizarre angle for a physician to use in the modern world, but it seems as though these credentials are regulated to the point where they're fully trained the same way as MDs?

	https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osteopathic_medicine_in_the_United_States

So I'm not sure it's quite the same "cure the infection in your hand by cracking your knuckles" poppycock Still was promoting in the 1890s, is it?

I've had interactions with healthcare professionals in the US who had a real mix of certifications including the chiropractic ones.  It seemed almost as if they'd size you up to work out if you were someone reassured more by data or attention, and use the appropriate angle to help you get the right care.

I grew up hearing a lot of justified eye-rolling about them from my parent's generation, but I'm willing to believe the field has stepped up and put in the work in my lifetime.  I'm also willing to believe it's a shadowy pocket for quacks to get access to patients in hospital.  It's not something I'd seek out for my own care, to be sure.

Of course, given this administration, I fully expect Conley to be prescribing spine alignment for COVID-19...