[conspire] Salvation Army

Michael Paoli Michael.Paoli at cal.berkeley.edu
Fri Oct 2 03:33:06 PDT 2020

> From: "paulz at ieee.org" <paulz at ieee.org>
> Subject: Re: [conspire] (forw) The fastest vaccine development ever
> Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2020 00:18:05 +0000 (UTC)

> As an opposite to certain charlatans, I will give a shout out for
> the Salvation Army.  They avoid headlines, but they are typically at
> a major disaster as fast as the Red Cross.  In Sunnyvale, they have
> a place where anyone can get a free loaf of bread and other food
> items. The only question they ask is, "How many in your household?"
> If it is a large family they will be even more generous.
> I go there to donate things when other places are closed to
> donations, but I know I am in the minority.

Yes, perhaps small number statistics, but, e.g., I remember years ago,
volunteering with Red Cross (as many others also did at that time)
doing some local relief aid.  Yes, Red Cross was large in numbers
and volunteers, but ... while they had us darn near twiddling our
thumbs (relief was needed, but they didn't now what to do with all
the volunteers) ... some Salvation Army folks came through,
much smaller number(s), but dang they were organized, had their
act together, knew what needed to be done and where, and were on it!