[conspire] Confirmed: COVID-19 can be spread via fecal-oral route

Deirdre Saoirse Moen deirdre at deirdre.net
Mon May 18 14:05:19 PDT 2020

Ugh. In all the ugh-ness. Not a pre-print, just an early release. Note: this does not rule out other transmission vectors. This is just one confirmed route.

Reddit link as there are some interesting discussion comments from technical people: https://www.reddit.com/r/COVID19/comments/gm7mua/infectious_sarscov2_in_feces_of_patient_with/

Related, as I was earlier, just by happenstance, looking for fecal-oral discussion on this very topic and the subject of “toilet plume” came up:

https://www.reddit.com/r/COVID19/comments/f9pbu3/could_this_be_a_bathroom_disease_with_inexpensive/

This is one area where masks can/do help: reminding you not to touch your face.

Using soap (or hand sanitizer when you can’t use soap) breaks down the bilipid layer which is what inactivates the virus by breaking down its structure.

One of the things I hadn’t known until astoundingly recently is that fecal-oral transmission is why polio was so contagious. So, essentially, what we have is polio 2.0 and bad sanitary habits and denialism.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polio

Deirdre