[conspire] New CDC website for US testing

Ruben Safir ruben at mrbrklyn.com
Sun May 17 14:53:53 PDT 2020

On Sun, May 17, 2020 at 11:59:56AM -0700, Deirdre Saoirse Moen wrote:
> While I applaud the CDC’s much-belated effort reporting US testing efforts, perhaps they should have belayed the launch until they were out of alpha testing. Jesus, what a clusterfuck.
>
> https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2020/05/cdc-publishing-covid-19-test-data/611764/
>
> So, yesterday, Nate Silver mentioned some of the issues on Twitter, which I won’t go into here, but he’s at https://twitter.com/natesilver538 if anyone’s interested.

I tried to find out from the FDA what is even the list of approved
testing usings and manufactorers at this junction and it is imposible to
even find a listing.  the FDA and the CDC can not be relied upon to
direct clinical decisions.  We've always know that but recently they
have reasserted that they have the knowledge and the authority to do
that, in the face of supreme court rulings and practical medicine say
no.

The best thing the FDA can do at this point is to actually TEST the
tests they approve to asure they are valid.  It is not that damn hard,
but it is completely outside there normal function where they review
tests done by industry, and these companies are all foriegn to boot.

As for the CDC, DITTO.  They completely fucked up the testing situation
out of the gate, and website reboots should be the last thing they
should be worrying about presently.  Maybe they haven't heard, but the
rest of the US is being locked up by an epidemic and depending on the
CDC to give useful, unbiased, information.

It they could get that straight, it would be nice.

> One of the issues in the Covid Tracking project’s data is that it is a record of a dataset at a point in time. So they get the state’s reported data at that point in time. Right? Right.
>
> Unfortunately, over time, causes of death have changed and that’s *not* reflected in the historic data on the site, which is a known limitation. Here’s an example. Yes, I tweeted an autopsy report at Nate Silver yesterday, wtf was I thinking? It’s of the Feb 6 death in San Mateo CA.

those mortality numbers are also useless.  At this point, they can't
even get what a COVID-19 death actually is.

they should give it up and start reporting likely covid co-morbities as
a cause of death, and covid co-mobibity as primary cause for death.

Try running it like that.

this is turning into a fractal problem..