[conspire] For Deirdre Saoirse Moen

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Thu May 14 12:23:42 PDT 2020

Quoting Paul Zander (paulz at ieee.org):

> China and some other countries have done good job of reducing the
> virus by contact tracing.   China routinely does "contact tracing"
> for many reasons, including political.  I would not like to live
> under that.
>
> A while ago, there was a story about a woman living in Israel.   She
> went to see her sick father.  He stood on his balcony.  She stayed on
> the street below.  The authorities tracked her cell phone and told her
> to report to quarantine.
>
> Gov Newsom has talked about the importance of contract tracing, but
> also about anonymity.  I don't know how those go together.

Yes, this is also a point that Ruben has made (in conversation with me).
There's real risk of the surveillance society going totally amok, over
this -- and it arguably already has in many countries, Israel included.

Of course, once privacy gets well thrown out the window, it's not just
spook agencies that then get to abuse surveillance and collected data
but everyone, down to the dogcatcher and the shoe-shine boy:

  An employee at a New Zealand Subway restaurant has reportedly been
  suspended after allegedly sexually harassing a woman online after she
  shared her personal information as part of a coronavirus contact tracing
  effort.

  An Auckland woman identified only as "Jess" said she was "creeped out"
  when she was repeatedly contacted by a male worker after she shared her
  details at a location of the sandwich chain for contact tracing
  purposes, according to Newshub.

  "I felt pretty gross, he made me feel really uncomfortable... he's
  contacting me,  I didn't ask him to do that,  I don't want that," Jess
  told the outlet.  "I had to put my details on their contact tracing form
  which I didn't think anything of.  It asked for my name, home address,
  email address and phone number so I put all those details down."

  The unnamed employee is said to have contacted the woman by sending
  texts and social media requests on platforms including Facebook and
  Instagram after she left the restaurant.  Jess said the incident made her
  thankful she does not live alone and hoped that changes would be made so
  others are not also harassed after sharing details.

https://www.newsweek.com/restaurant-worker-suspended-after-using-customers-coronavirus-contract-tracing-details-hit-her-1503891