[conspire] I with I have $5000 for everyone who died of Wuhan-19

Deirdre Saoirse Moen deirdre at deirdre.net
Fri May 8 11:03:30 PDT 2020

On May 8, 2020, at 10:24, Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com> wrote:

> Quoting Nick Moffitt (nick at zork.net):
>
>> In 1918, a pandemic influenza virus was first documented at an army
>> base in the US.  It spread through the military and civilian
>> population of America, Germany, France, and eventually Spain.
>
> Deirdre says she is going to post with a link to, and to summarise, a
> scientific paper she happens to have handy, on the 1918 virus's origin
> having been traced to a Kansas slaughterhouse.  I'm looking forward to
> it.

Correct. The pandemic actually started 300 miles west of the army base in Kansas in Haskell County and was actually first documented there, but the paper wasn’t published immediately.

But there were two interesting bits: the outbreak *started* in January 1918 there, and the last death locally was March 30. The people from that county then reported to Camp Funston, and people from Haskell County went to visit their relatives at Funston.

Then, over the next couple of years, somewhere between 50 and 100 million people died.

Paper link: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC340389/

Deirdre