[conspire] Wuhan-19 ... nope, it's: SARS-Cov-2 (virus), COVID-19 (disease in humans)

Michael Paoli Michael.Paoli at cal.berkeley.edu
Fri May 8 07:02:19 PDT 2020

> From: "Ruben Safir" <ruben at mrbrklyn.com>
> Subject: Re: [conspire] I with I have 00 for everyone who died of Wuhan-19
> Date: Thu, 7 May 2020 18:35:53 -0400

> On Thu, May 07, 2020 at 03:23:30PM -0700, Rick Moen wrote:
>> Quoting Ruben Safir (ruben at mrbrklyn.com):
>>
>> > OK so that is not Ethnic association that is communist propaganda and
>> > Homie don't play that.
>>
>> A distinction without much of a difference.  The rhetorical subtext in
>> this case, especially as this phrasing is promoted by the Toddler and
>
> No - he wanted to call it the Chinese Virus which is too broad.  Most of
> them are from China.
>
> Wuhan makes sense.  That is the region it originated from and until the
> political manipulation of the naming convention, that is what it would
> have been named.

Naw, ... *if* one wanted to name it for a place of origin ...
well, country/political borders change.  Some countries even come and
go, or are renamed.
How 'bout use latitude and longitude?  ;-)
Or how 'bout like DNS LOC records ...
not only latitude and longitude, but also altitude, and radius/precision!
;-)

But seriously, how to name viruses (and other pathogens) and diseases
is a settled matter.  Wishing it differently doesn't change it.

Also, origins may not be known.  Or may be presumed incorrectly,
and then correctly determined later.
Are you going to rename everything if one later discovers it actually
originated from somewhere else?

Oh, and how 'bout "next" time there's a killer pandemic ...
that originates from some USA factory farm.

Can we look forward to you naming it USA-mad-killer-25 ?
Are you still *so* going to be wanting to name it after place of
origin once that happens?

Sh*t happens, diseases/pathogens start *somewhere* ... not always known
where or precisely where.  Playing the blame game on origin isn't
especially useful.  And sure, lots can be done better at reducing
probability of something getting started (making that species jump),
better communication/openness, better early containment/tracking - at
least as, when, and where feasible.  But too, there are a lot of
very poor places on the planet ... stuff breaks out there too.
And if resource assistance isn't there, things can go quite badly.
Well funding WHO can be a really good thing.
Defunding WHO, killing teams that do pandemic early warning/detection,
etc., that's really short-sighted and stupid.  Not sayin' there ain't
plenty 'o blame ... *and* credit - to go and be spread around.
Really need to *fix the problem*.  There will be plenty 'o time to
do retrospective analysis after-the-fact (and write books, and novels,
and do movies, and ...).

Oh, and China, ... sure, some things they certainly could've handled better.
But some things they did dang well ... even exceedingly.  E.g.,
China sequenced the virus pretty dang early on, and got that information
out to the world.  Sure, there's plenty they could've also done better,
but the sequencing and releasing that information - they did the whole
world a solid on that one.