[conspire] I with I have $5000 for everyone who died of Wuhan-19

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Thu May 7 15:23:30 PDT 2020

Quoting Ruben Safir (ruben at mrbrklyn.com):

> OK so that is not Ethnic association that is communist propaganda and
> Homie don't play that.

A distinction without much of a difference.  The rhetorical subtext in
this case, especially as this phrasing is promoted by the Toddler and
his lackies, is 'blame China; please don't think about how we epically
screwed up and are continuing to do so'.  I'm really tired of that.
It's transparent manipulation, and a bit insulting to see tried out
here.

> Diseases are named from where they orginate....

No.

   Viruses are named based on their genetic structure to facilitate the
   development of diagnostic tests, vaccines and medicines. Virologists and
   the wider scientific community do this work, so viruses are named by the
   International Committee on Taxonomy of Viruses (ICTV).

   Diseases are named to enable discussion on disease prevention, spread,
   transmissibility, severity and treatment. Human disease preparedness and
   response is WHO’s role, so diseases are officially named by WHO in the
   International Classification of Diseases (ICD).

https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/technical-guidance/naming-the-coronavirus-disease-(covid-2019)-and-the-virus-that-causes-it

As Deirdre already pointed out to you, the disease has the name
COVID-19, short for COronaVIrus Disease 2019.  The pathogen has the name
SARS-CoV-2, short for Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome CoronaVirus 2.
These names were made official by World Health Organization and the
International Committee on Taxonomy of Viruses on Feb. 11.  (Please see
above link.)

You do not get to rename them, no more than the Toddler gets to -- and
much less do either of you get to rename them for insultingly obvious
polemical reasons.

> Besides, there is, to my knowledge, only one Chinese fellow on this list
> and he is Noriegin or German depending on what article I read.

I'm neither ethnically Han nor of Chinese citizenship, but I _do_ use
chopsticks expertly, so there's that.  Plus, I know lots more Cantonese
than you do, and I'll bet I'm a much defter hand with a wok.

We used to say back in Hong Kong, 'If you can wrestle it into a wok,
it's probably food.'