[conspire] I wish I had $5000 for everyone who died of Wuhan-19

Ruben Safir ruben at mrbrklyn.com
Thu May 7 07:14:35 PDT 2020

On Thu, May 07, 2020 at 06:42:41AM +0000, paulz at ieee.org wrote:
>  Yesterday Gilead said it would donate 1.5Million doses.
> Today, Gilead said it has already spent 50Mil on scaling up production of Remdeseriv.  That in addition to expenses to develop the drug and perform tests
>
> Although it looks promising in trials, there is no way of knowing if an alternate therapy will be found that essentially obsoletes the Remdeseriv.

Drug thearpy is not going to be fast.  With HIV it took decades, but
they had an advantage (imagine that) in that the disease, before it
killed you, was cronic.  This disease, for most patients, comes and goes
before the patient notices they have it (and yet spread it for 28 days
as I read the latest research).

Running trials is a lot harder.

They need to focus on the vaccine, and they are still not doing this
fact enough.

They also need to invest in general virology.  Epidemic level viral
vacinnations need to be always in research, to be two steps ahead of the
epidemics.  With the current tools for genetic manipulation, they should
be able to do it.