[conspire] Icecast

Michael Paoli Michael.Paoli at cal.berkeley.edu
Thu May 7 00:31:39 PDT 2020

> From: "Ruben Safir" <ruben at mrbrklyn.com>
> Subject: Re: [conspire] Icecast
> Date: Wed, 6 May 2020 23:06:45 -0400

> On Tue, May 05, 2020 at 05:52:39PM -0400, Ruben Safir wrote:
>> anyone notice icecast and the streaming directory is down?
>> the whole doman of xiph.org is not responding
>>
>> $ dig @ns1.xiph.org. +noall +norecurse +answer +nottl ns1.xiph.org. A
>> ns1.xiph.org. AAAA
>> ns1.xiph.org.           IN      A       140.211.166.31
>> $
>
> That is interesting Michael.  They said there raid array died :(

Well, maybe that's just slave, and the master is also down/dead.
When I earlier checked, of their two authoritative nameservers, only
one was responding.  Let's see ...
$ dig @ns1.xiph.org. +noall +norecurse +answer +multiline xiph.org. SOA
xiph.org.               259200 IN SOA mf4.xiph.org. hostmaster.xiph.org. (
                                 2020050604 ; serial
                                 3600       ; refresh (1 hour)
                                 900        ; retry (15 minutes)
                                 604800     ; expire (1 week)
                                 3600       ; minimum (1 hour)
                                 )
$ dig @mf4.xiph.org. +noall +norecurse +answer xiph.org. NS
$
If their DNS is to believed, their master is down/offline ... or may
just not be publicly accessible.  Expire value implies the data could
go bye-bye relatively soon.  However the serial implies some recent
signs of life.