[conspire] Icecast

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Wed May 6 23:02:17 PDT 2020

Quoting Ruben Safir (ruben at mrbrklyn.com):

> I have plumb ran out of movies to watch.  Tonight is MacBeth with Orsen
> Wells.

As I mentioned, I expect it's a winner.

Movies, let's see:  I already mentione 12 Monkeys.  Seems timely.
Following the same theme, I enjoyed the 1969 Robert Wise movie of
The Andromeda Strain almost as much as I did Michael Crichton's breakout
novel.  (I don't hear great reports about the 1971 remake or the 2008
miniseries, and won't answer for their quality.)  And there's always
Contagion (2011), the  Steven Soderbergh film.

Moving outside the 'pandemic' genre:

Liten-Datamaskin:Movies rick$ ls
2 Days in the Valley (1996).avi
Active Measures (2018).mkv
Aferim (2015).mkv
Anomalisa (2015).avi
Aquaman (2018).mkv
Blade Runner 2049 (2017).mkv
Captain Marvel (2019).avi
Citizenfour (2014).avi
Coco (2017).mp4
Danny Macaskill The Ridge (2014).mp4
Don't Look Now (1973).mkv
Exit Through The Gift Shop (2010).avi
Game Change (2012).mkv
In Bruges (2008).mp4
Incredibles 2 (2018).mp4
It's in the Bag (1945).avi
John Cleese - To Norway, home of giants.mp4
Lady Bird (2017).avi
Lilo and Stitch (2002).mkv
Maigret in Montmartre (2017).mkv
Manchester by the Sea (2016).mkv
Miracle Mile (1988).mp4
Mr. Roosevelt (2017).avi
Mr Nobody (2009).mp4
Pimpernel Smith (1941).mp4
RBG (2018).mp4
Rustlers' Rhapsody (1985).mp4
Sharknado (2013).mp4
Smyrna the Destruction of a Cosmopolitan City - 1900-1922 (2012).mkv
Tapeheads (1988).mp4
The Brand New Testament (2015).mp4
The Death of Stalin (2017).mp4
The Importance of Being Earnest (1952).avi
The King's Choice (2016).mp4
The Wandering Earth (2019).mp4
The Big Short (2015).avi
The Eighth Day (1996).mp4
The Girl King (2015).avi
The Lair of the White Worm (1988).mkv
The Maltese Falcon (1941).mp4
The Secret War of Harry Frigg (1968).avi
Tim's Vermeer (2013).mp4
Travellers and Magicians (2003).mp4
Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets (2017).mkv
Walkabout (1971).mp4
What We Do in the Shadows (2014).mkv
Zodiac (2007).mp4
Liten-Datamaskin:Movies rick$

Let's see about some of those:  'Coco' and 'Lilo and Stitch' are both
Pixar animated classics, both wonderful.  You can read about them
practically anywhere.

'In Bruges' is a dark comedy, the first film of Irish director Martin
McDonagh, deeply and hilariously funny, and almost all set in the
beautifully preserved Belgian town of Bruges.  My family made a point of
taking the train to Bruges for the day based partly on love of this
flick.

Miracle Mile is a dark c omedy / romance / apocalyptic thriller, the
film that Steve De Jarnatt spent decades trying to make because he
wouldn't let the studios screw with his script.

The Lair of the White Worm is utterly restrained for a Ken Russell film
and has all sorts of people you'd recognise later, including a very
young Peter Capaldi.  Russell based it loosely on a very otherwise
forgettable horror novel of the same name by Bram Stoker

What We Do in the Shadows is a deadpan New Zealand mockumentary by Taika
Waititi, based on which Hollywood studios started giving him real money.

Zodiac is an utterly riveting dramatisation of the police search for the
Zodiac serial killer, made by David Fincher.  It's practically a
documentary, and a completely believable re-creation of early 1970s San
Francisco.

Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets is a glorious mess of a
science-fiction fantasy by the Wachowski siblings.

Tapeheads is a frothy comedy produced by Michael Nesmith starring John
Cusack and Tim Robbins as two creative losers who try to make it big in
the video industry.  I made a point of renting a copy of this flick to
show Eric Raymond many years ago, in part for the pleasure of seeing him
crack up hearing lines like 'You two ninja bitches know each other?'

The King's Choice is a surprisingly effective near-documentary about
the plight of Norway's king during the Nazi invasion, as he was forced
to flee and subject to pressure from Berlin to make an agreement
consenting to Nazi rule.  Many incidents are shown pretty near exactly
as they occurred, including a fortress in Oslofjord sinking the invading
German flagship with 80-year-old German Krupp guns (incidentally
delaying the invasion of Oslo long enough that the entire government and
royal family were able to evacuate and ultimately never surrender).

Walkabout is the film that first made Australian director Peter Weir's
reputation.  Two British children are left to fend for themselves in the
outback, and accidentally meet an Aboriginal boy who helps them survive.
It doesn't end well for everyone, but the film is haunting.

2 Days in the Valley is a trick-plot shaggy dog story crime film
involving several apparently unrelated plots all set in the San Fernando
Valley just inland from Los Angeles proper.  Are all of the subplots
going to converge?  Why, of course they are.

Don't Look Now is a beautiful film set in the city of Venice during the
winter season, made from a Daphne de Maurier supernatural thriller
story.  Suspenseful, dreamlike, worth seeing just for the Venetian
setting.

Exit Through The Gift Shop is a British documentary directed by fabled
street artist Banksy.  It's hilarious and unique.  Just see it.

It's in the Bag is a comedy based on the Russian comic novel The Twelve
Chairs, which you might know from the Mel Brooks version.  This one
stars Fred Allen (his only starring film role).  There are cameos by
basically everyone famous in entertaining at the time, including Jack
Benny.

Rustlers' Rhapsody is what I consider an absolutely brilliant
comedy/parody Western, that just failed to find its audience at the
time.  Tom Berringer's in the starring role.

Game Change is another near-documentary, from HBO, about John McCain's
election campaign and how it got nearly sidetracked completely by Sarah
Palin.  Ed Harris is good as McCain, and Julianne Moore is uncanny as
Palin.

Lots more good stuff in that 'ls' listing.  Look them up.