[conspire] Rooting tomato cuttings?!

paulz at ieee.org paulz at ieee.org
Fri May 1 19:24:47 PDT 2020

Below is a mashup of several emails. Never heard of this before this morning.

I gave it a try on two plants that were rather large and also had two stems.  I used gallon milk jug with bottom cut off to give the cutting some protection from drying out.

Especially these days, we are all trying to avoid making special trips to garden shops for tomato plant. I just recently stuck tomato cuttings in the ground casually without any hormones. I put top open white containers and kept them moist. Now I have 3 out of 4 growing, at least still look happy and green. I did actually experimented this with 100% success in the past.
All of my cuttings, 2 inch or less barely, were the tips of the small seedlings. Too small but that’s all I had. Ideally they should be long enough to stand in the ground firmly. The one that did not make it was the smallest and basically dried out before the rooting process gets a chance.
Read somewhere once, that if you plant your plant, let it grow a bit, and then take out the suckers growing out between the plant and the leaf stem, plant thos = high rate of success.
   Only tried it a couple times and seemed to work very well.

And, you keep taking them out and getting more shoots to plant.   I probably let mine grow to five or six inches before I cut them out, larger than I would have left them if I'd not been planning to plant them out for a new plant.