[conspire] (forw) Not quite getting it

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Sun Mar 22 21:11:12 PDT 2020

Quoting Texx (texxgadget at gmail.com):

> Its starting to look like it can be spread without contact or coughing is
> you are within 2-3 metres.

Please provide a credible source for this (which is a polite way of
saying 'I'm pretty sure you're dead wrong').  This claim contradicts
what is being said by credible information sources such as CDC and WHO.

> Soap, alcohol, & colloidal silver work on both bacteria and virus.

Please DO NOT spread notorious scams about 'colloidal silver'.  There is
zero science behind this assertion, only bullshit hucksterism.

> There is talk of cloroquin

Chloroquine.  It's in _very early_ trials based on not-very-compelling
claims out of China.  _And_ it is a highly dangerous drug.  At least a
couple of people have already poisoned themselves attempting to
self-medicate as an (alleged) preventative.  Zero medical authorities
have so far certified its effectiveness.

> and an HIV med being used.

To be clear, the reason Ritonavir and Lopinavir are being _tested in
early studies_ is that they are part of a general class of
anti-retroviral drugs.

> Initially I heard that runny nose was not a Covid19 symptom, but I
> stand corrected, it sometimes is indeed a symptom.

That would be very rare and atypical, because the infection strongly
tends to go to either the _lower_ respiratory tract (i.e., into the
lung) or into parts of the digestive system (or both).  It is not known
clinically as an _upper_ respiratory tract infection (sinuses) to any
significant degree.  That is why the three most _characteristic_
symptoms that are clinical signs of a possible infection are (1) cough,
(2) fever, and (3) difficulty breathing -- because the virus tends to
settle in the lungs, and not in the sinuses.

Texx, honestly, would you do me a solid?  Please stop trying to
recapitulate absolutely basic data about SARS-CoV-2 and COVID-19
on this mailing list.  IMO, you aren't really helping, and when you
throw in pseudoscientific nonsense like 'colloidal silver might work', I
end up having to Have Words with you.

> Once symptoms appear, I dont see a point to testing.

There is a point to such testing.  {sigh}  It's called differential
diagnosis.

Texx, there are FAQs on this.  You should read them.

> SARS killed 1 in 10 and this thing seems to be only taking out 1 in 50.
> With 80% just having a rough week, I dare to be hopeful.

No.  This comparison makes no sense.

You aren't grappling with what is going to cause deaths and why.

> The scary thing is going to be the economy.

No, sir.  The scary thing is going to be megadeaths.  And that's just in
the United States.

> Without the current lockdown, half of CA would be infected by mid May.
> Considering the present curve, we may still get close to that.

You are not even _remotely_ graplling with the math.

Read the Imperial College London report again.