[conspire] (forw) Re: Imperial College London COVID-19 COVID-19 Response Team report

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Sun Mar 22 19:49:28 PDT 2020

Quoting Texx:

> Problem with vaccine is that it will take a year to get up and running
> despite their work in Seattle and this thiong will burn out by then.

About 14 months to prove it safe and effective (_if_ it is), and then
several more months to ramp up production of a proven vaccine.  Thus the
conventional round figure of 18 months.

> Sure we have gone with option #3 in CA, but now we need to quarantine
> anyone from outside of CA entering, lest they start things all over again.

1.  California cannot lawfully do that.

2.  If you think that's necessary, then you have not yet understood
the strategy.  No amount of suppression tactics (as the maximal strategy
is termed in the Imperial College London report) can be expected to
eradicate the virus from the population.  That is not the aim.

I can only suggest reading the report again, especially the section
about 'suppression' strategy timing, circa pages 11-13.

--
Cheers,                     "Why doesn't anyone invite copyeditors to parties,
Rick Moen                   when we're such cool people out with whom to hang?"