[conspire] Our on-again/off-again contributor in Brooklyn says he didn't say that

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Tue Mar 17 19:15:26 PDT 2020

In fairness, technically, he didn't.  Trying to set the record straight.

Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2020 19:13:26 -0700
From: Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com>
To: nylxs <mrbrklyn at optonline.net>
Subject: Re: ummm - no i didn't

Quoting nylxs (mrbrklyn at optonline.net):

> ummm - no i didn't say the above EVER.  I never recommend masks for the
> public and it makes me cringe to see it.

Hmm, maybe.  What you said, technically, was:

   I'm glad I got that out of the way and now we can focus on something
   valiable, like the shortage of face masks [...]

To which I replied:

  Useful only if you _have_ upper-respiratory symptoms and want to try
  to avoid sharing them.

And I went on to quote a qualified expert, as to why.

To which, your _only_ response was:

  Perhaps... or perhaps you like to endlessly argue sometimes :)

If you had meant to state that, of course you didn't mean that people
should hoard face masks, that would have been a really good time to say
so -- instead of blowing off what I said and just summarily declaring me
merely argumentative.

It pretty much gives rise to the natural suspicion that you _were_
wanting to defend stockpiling face masks for no good reason, and just
didn't like my having pointed out why that's both senseless and
sociopathic.

But I'll be glad to immediately post to Conspire a clarification that
you say that wasn't your intention, and that you never voiced such a
view.

You're every bit as welcome on Conspire as anyone else.  However, when I
tell you to cool it, and you fail to listen, you can rationally expect
nothing good to happen.  For _example_, I couldn't help notice that,
after your departure (for the second time), there were no fewer than
_seven more_ somewhat overwrought and highly contentious postings on the
same subject from you, now lodged in Mailman's administrative queue,
held because they were from a (now-) non-subscribed address.

Seven more?  You really didn't get the message.  I've allowed those to
expire out of queue; they will not go out to subscribers.  And, frankly,
continuing an abusive pattern of posting _after_ unsubscribing really
does make you look even more like an idiot, in addition to causing yet
more annoyance to me as listadmin.

I'm not the boss of you, and you have as much freedom to rejoin as
anyone else, but I'll give you the free personal advice that if you pull
that sort of misbehaviour again, I'll probably act to end it rather than
just admonish it, the next time around.

----- End forwarded message -----