[conspire] Y2K: Re: CABAL in the time of Cholera^W SARS-CoV-2: March event cancelled

Michael Paoli Michael.Paoli at cal.berkeley.edu
Mon Mar 16 19:00:32 PDT 2020

Here here!  The reason Y2K passed as a mostly non-issue,
is because of the tons of work folks did before Y2K.
I know I was very busy hammering away testing and remediating
*years* in advance of Y2K.  Heck, I remember some work weeks
having put over in excess of 100 hours(!) in the week, to
meet some of the Y2K testing and compliance deadlines ...
and that was in 1998!

So, yeah, it wasn't a non-issue because nobody did anything.
It was a (mostly) non-issue because a whole helluva lot of
folks put in a lot of work, testing, correction, etc., to be
dang sure it would be as much a non-issue as feasible.
And ... so it was.  And like many that worked on Y2K,
when Y2K rolled around, did I get to go out and party
like everyone else?  Nope, sat around, watched, tested,
retested, made damn sure it continued to be a non-issue
throughout.  And so it was.

Heck, in major operating system vendor's allegedly fully patched
and Y2K complaint code, I found Y2K bug(s) ... perhaps bugs that
no one else had found ... and got 'em reported, and the major
OS vendor, to patch 'em.  That stuff didn't just "happen".
Someone had to test, report, fix, repair, ...