[conspire] CABAL in the time of Cholera^W SARS-CoV-2: March event cancelled

Ruben Safir ruben at mrbrklyn.com
Mon Mar 16 08:05:57 PDT 2020

On Sun, Mar 15, 2020 at 02:44:18PM -0700, Rick Moen wrote:
> Quoting Dire Red (deirdre at deirdre.net):
>
> > 5. Mostly for Reuben
> > Saw this yesterday, thought of you.
> > https://twitter.com/rachsyme/status/1238869169262727168
>
> <mode="80s"> Let's careful out there. </mode>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJDQewSMB-E
>
> Something Deirdre retweeted from (@kcolbin) also seems relevant:
>
>   Here is the thing to understand about flattening the curve.
>   It only works if we take necessary measures, before they seem necessary.
>   And if it works, people will think we over-reacted.
>   We have to be willing to look like we over-reacted.
>
> Remember how, because of long, painstaking work, 'Y2K' didn't take down
> computing?  And then, a long sequence of fools proclaimed said threat
> overblown?  We'd (ideally) like this year's outcome to be similar.

Y2K is not a good analogy at all.

the cure for Y2K is not shutting down Western Civilization, which is the
proposed cure for this virus.

Is it being overblown, 100%.

Will we come through this like nothing ever happened and recover.

My educated guess is no.  This is going to permanently scare humanity
for the rest of my lifetime, and probably my childrens lifetime as well.

The precident has been set that all forms of social contract is to be
supressed based on fear of a disease, that at worst, seems to be such
that less that 3% of the total population would be culled.... and mostly
because of a lack of a vacination.

It see this as a turning point in our civilization, and one we will not
recover from.

How long are we going to locked down for without theater, lectures,
education, libraries?  3 months?  6 months?

No, I don't go along with these current actions.  The cure is far worst
than the disease.

Putting this in perspective, our closes analogue is the 1917-1920 flu
epidement.  My grandmother was born in 1917.  In New York City,
theaters, sports and other public ciritical cultural venues remained
opened:

"The Department of Health applied this framework to policies regarding
schools and theaters, which stayed open throughout the epidemic, though
under careful regulation. Anti-spitting measures consisted of health
education efforts backed by the threat of misdemeanor fines and watchful
police officers."

the 1917 basebabb season was a full season. The 1918 season was only
shortened because of concerns about WWI mostly because of public
sentiment : http://www.thisgreatgame.com/1918-baseball-history.html
The 1919 season went long so normally, although slighly shortened do to
the draft, that gamblers fixed the world series.  Clearly folks were
living day to day without panic and terror.

http://www.thisgreatgame.com/1919-baseball-history.html

Today all bars are closes, all theaters closes, all musueums closed, all
public gatherings more than 50 people essentially closes, all weddings
stopped, and the baseball season currently shut down without any time
line for resumption.  WINS radio is reporting that the Govern suggest
that we hunker down for the time being, forgetting that "the time being"
is on a time scale of more than a year.

When we had more experience with epidemics, dozens, if not hundreds
of specific actions were taken to try to control
infection transmition, all of them talyored to the time and placed.
Idnividuals and families were quarenteed, or sent to Rooservelt Island.
Business hours were stagnated to take the burnden off the Mass transit
system.  The ports were locked down and health and safety inspections
upped there any at the ports and docks.

QUOTE:
Copeland's Health Department opted for a two-tiered approach to
isolating cases of influenza. As Copland explained to The New York Times
on September 19, When cases develop in private houses or apartments they
will be kept in strict quarantine there. When they develop in boarding
houses or tenements they will be promptly removed to city hospitals, and
held under strict observation and treated there.29 Influenza cases found
in tenement and boarding homes were to be removed to municipal
hospitals. All other cases were put under home quarantine without
placards.29,30 Placarded quarantine was not used because of the belief
that there were no asymptomatic cases of influenza. As Copeland
explained in the press:

The Health Department has not deemed it necessary to quarantine families
in which there are cases of influenza because this disease is held not
to be communicable by one who has not himself got influenza. It matters
not that a person is exposed to the malady unless he himself is stricken
with it. The danger of infection lies almost entirely, it is said, in
the coughing and sneezing of one who actually has influenza.31
UNQUOTE:

What was not done was DRACION actions demanded commplete sedation of the
population and an end of public life.  This would have been unthinkable
and we are just accepting this as a normal course for events today.

Why?  Because google classroom now will have every child in America
signed up for there services at the age of 4 using there tracking
platfrom, while parents tearfully hunker down in there kitchens stashing
cartons of toilet paper in there kitchen.

This response is WORST than the fear of Nuclear Anilation during the
cold war.  It is not only irrational, but it is not sustainable!

Truthfully, read the reports on the routine cholora epidemics of the
19th century.  It is amazing anyone got out alive.

This virus, it is nothing on the grand scale of things.  Like Strept
infections, our reaction to the epidemeic is far more destructive than
the disease.