[conspire] CABAL in the time of Cholera^W SARS-CoV-2: March event cancelled

Deirdre Saoirse Moen deirdre at deirdre.net
Sun Mar 15 13:14:22 PDT 2020

1. Guangzhou

A close friend of mine is an ICU doctor in Guangzhou (when you think of Hong Kong and Shenzhen, the third leg of that triangle is Guangzhou, a city of 14 million people). Formerly known as Canton (as in Cantonese) and one of the three largest cities in China. She isn’t *from* China, she’s over there on an exchange program.

They were encouraging (but not requiring) limited movement far earlier than the press was reporting it, in the way of having staff checking temps on street corners and encouraging people to order food deliveries. I’m also told that the self-quarantining was leading to higher divorce filings, though I haven’t heard that elsewhere. (Haven’t looked, though.)

2. Existing Folding project for COVID-19

https://www.reddit.com/r/COVID19/comments/fd29vj/please_consider_downloading_boinc_or_foldinghome/

3. Asymptomatic transmission IS important.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/14/health/coronavirus-asymptomatic-spread/index.html

Money shot quote: "Ciesek was surprised to find that the viral load of the specimens from the asymptomatic patients was higher than the viral load of the specimens from the three patients who did have symptoms.”

4. Data Visualization FTW

Check out this spiffy network graph of Singapore cases and their interconnections:

https://co.vid19.sg/cases

5. Mostly for Reuben

Saw this yesterday, thought of you.

https://twitter.com/rachsyme/status/1238869169262727168