[conspire] Firefox troubles after moving to Debian Buster: how can I use my old profile?!

Peter Knaggs peter.knaggs at gmail.com
Fri Mar 13 02:10:02 PDT 2020

Hi Rick,

Thanks!

In my panic, I had completely missed that part about using the URI
'about:profiles',
it works great!

When I went in there, I immediately saw that my old profile wasn't the
default,
and Firefox had made a new empty profile (with the "-esr" extension) and
set
_that_ profile as the default, alongside my old profile which was also
still there
(except that it was not the default, which seems a really weird choice).

There was a tempting button [Make Default]  next to my old profile
and I used that button to make my old profile the default one.
Once I had done that, and launched a new Firefox session,
and closed the old one, Firefox happily let me delete the
empty "-esr" profile.

So now I'm "back to normal" again (although somewhat nerve-wracked
that the developers would find such convoluted steps amusing).
Maybe they think it's a good way to teach their users about this
new "separate profiles" feature, although I'd have preferred a
slightly less jarring introduction to it.

Thanks,
Peter.