[conspire] Ti-i-i-ime, is on my side, yes it is

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Sun Mar 8 19:08:51 PDT 2020

Quoting Nick Moffitt (nick at zork.net):

> You pointed this out to me once twenty years ago, and I since only
> refer to "noon" or "midnight".  I also found out that german trains
> never arrive or depart at "12:00", but only at "0:00" or "12:01" or
> "11:59".

Clear and efficient as usual.  As the biological son of the late Judge
Robert Howard Schnacke, I cannot help approving.  ;->

> There is literally no case to be made for changing the clocks twice
> per year, however.  This is well-trod territory, but the question I
> always pose to defenders of the Sacred Clock-Changing Tradition is
> this:
>
> If DST/Summer Time truly has every single advantage you claim, then
> why do we only do it during the *sunniest* months of the year?
> Wouldn't we need it *more* during the dark of winter?  Why do we only
> do it when sunshine is abundant, and not when it is scarce?

FWIW, I've lodged on the 'Just leave everyone on Standard Time, for
heaven's sake' side of this interminable argument for many long
decades.[1]  One of the many bits of badness known to ensue from the
'spring forward' change is a spike in death rates broadly across society
for the following ~week or so[2], subtle effects of people suddenly
needing to remain functional despite a sleep deficit.

[1] There are actually at least three camps, complicating the politics,
the third being 'year-around Summer Time', something a number of states
including Washington are actively considering (while others stoutly or
passively pitch for one of the other two stances).  So, great, the number of
bits of time weirdness crossing state borders can potentially go even
higher -- not limited, any more, to small amounts of High Weirdness like
adjusting one's clocks upon crossing Boulder Dam between Nevada and
Arizona, during non-summer parts of the year only.

(Nevada's on PST and PDT, seasonally changing.  Arizona is on Mountain
Standard Time year-around, except for Navajo Nation lands in Arizona
that seasonally observe MDT.)

[2] Heart attacks, traffic accidents, workplace injuries, and accidental deaths.
https://www.ibtimes.com/daylight-saving-time-why-monday-after-springing-forward-deadly-day-1840534
(By implication, 'fall back' gives people a bit of respite by sending
them off to work a bit more rested, but falloffs in deaths have not been
statistically noted.)