[conspire] Ti-i-i-ime, is on my side, yes it is

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Sun Mar 8 16:01:14 PDT 2020

> For Linux, and more generally Unix, BSD, POSIX(, ...?), things are
> handled relatively automagically*.

This morning, I had to manually adjust the clock on the oven, the one on
the microwave oven, the gold wall clock near the dining room, Cheryl's
clock/radio in her bedroom, and the one in her car.  I'd already done my
digital watch, last night.

No automagical updating anywhere in those things.

(I probably ought to get around to updating the cheap digital clock in the
house furnace controller.  Forgot that one.)

> Likewise, midnight ... belongs to which day?

Technically, I would say neither (programmers' convenience be damned).

BTW, I use '12N' notation to refer to noon, and '12M' to refer to
midnight.

The expressions 'AM' and "PM', ante meridiem and post meridiem,
translate directly from the Latin to 'before noon' and 'after noon'.
So, it always amuses me when people use the expression '12 PM' to mean
noon, because as written that literally denotes twelve hours after noon,
i.e., midnight.  By the same logic, '12 AM' literally denotes twelve
hours before noon, i.e., midnight.