[conspire] Public Surveys

Deirdre Saoirse Moen deirdre at deirdre.net
Mon Jun 8 15:16:19 PDT 2020

On Jun 8, 2020, at 14:28, Ruben Safir <ruben at mrbrklyn.com> wrote:

> And when these neighborhoods teeter back onto themselves, which is what
> is happening NOW, all these little protesting hispters are going to flee
> back to Ohio and Michigan, where they came from, or maybe move to the
> suburbs, leaving an underfunded urban center all but dead and bankrupt,
> a complete rehash of the 1960's and 1970’s.

The reason we have concentrated neighborhoods of blacks is redlining. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redlining

Also, we didn’t give blacks (or other people of color) the GI bill after World War II. So, no education for you.

We also didn’t give them home loans at low cost. Or home loans at all. Or, you know, jobs. Or benefits.

After Johnson signed the civil rights act in 1964, the Dixiecrats flipped to Republican, which is how the south became republican. Party of Lincoln my ass.

Then, as home values increased and white prosperity increased, this led to a huge gap over the decades after WW2:

"Black families in America earned just $57.30 for every $100 in income earned by white families, according to the Census Bureau's Current Population Survey. For every $100 in white family wealth, black families hold just $5.04.” (from the redlining wiki page, originally from the NY Times)

"In 2016, the median wealth for black and Hispanic families was $17,600 and $20,700, respectively, compared with white families' median wealth of $171,000.” (also from the redlining wiki page)

Also, I note that Republican Senator Mitt Romney managed to march with 1000 Christians down Black Lives Matter ave without tanks. No problemo. (Romney’s father marched with Martin Luther King.)

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/mitt-romney-marches-black-lives-matter-protest-washington-dc/

So maybe what might be useful is actually treating black and brown people equitably, like they matter, instead of calling me a racist.

Just a thought.

Deirdre