[conspire] Public Surveys

Ruben Safir ruben at mrbrklyn.com
Mon Jun 8 14:54:12 PDT 2020

On Mon, Jun 08, 2020 at 02:23:25PM -0700, Deirdre Saoirse Moen wrote:
> > On Jun 8, 2020, at 13:38, Ruben Safir <ruben at mrbrklyn.com> wrote:
> >
> > Well, you have never been chased down pitkin avenue by 40 black kids
> > weilding clubs and knieves, or had a sister sexually abused, or been
> > shot at on the Livonia Avenue train station, so you have to always keep
> > in mind the source.
>
> Clarification, since I responded quickly and enumerated badly and should have been clearer:
>
> 1. I do believe you were chased down Pitkin avenue. I don’t believe 40.
>
> Gangs definitely have been a problem, but gangs are a response to a broken police system.
>
> The solution to gangs *isn’t* a bigger police state as that just creates bigger badder gangs. It’s the old thesis-anthithesis-synthesis problem.

We ran that experiment.  You solution failed.  A bigger and badder
police force dedicated to the problem won, and equal application of the
law to all won.

Seeing it any other way is seeing it though a prism of racism.

It is not me being the racist here.  I find it unexeptable for a whole
generation of Black kids to be wasted away by violent crime and drugs,
and I have seen it REALLY close hand.  Don't insult my real living
experience because it doesn't jive with your preconcieved notion of how
you would like things to be.

The first task in fighting racism and ethnic strife is to see thing how
they really are.  The second task is to build tolerance, even for people
that no doubt would want to kill you and would if given a chance.